Youth Ministry

Being a Youth Minister for 4 months now has been quite the experience. I truly did not know what I was getting into. The program really lacked organization and our parish is growing so much that we simply do not have the room to do the things we need to. We have to do most all our large gatherings in the Cafeteria. I head up the programs called Jr. CYM and CYM. Jr. CYM includes grades 6th - 8th and CYM 9th -12th. I am a youth minister and director of religious ed all rolled into one with over 350 youth all together 6th-12th. I am quickly learning that this youth program is a work in progress and things cannot happen overnight. I am happy however to be here right now and look forward to future developments. I have grown in ways I did not even know I could and I really am starting to develop good relationships with the youth. I especially enjoy working with the youth leaders and leading their group meetings. Right now, my position is more of a Principle than a Teacher or Minister and I would rather spend my time actually ministering to the youth but instead much of my time is spent planning and organizing etc. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.
We will be building on to the Church in March of 2006 so the extra space will help with the numbers. But, I think it could be said that it is a great thing that we have the numbers! It's better to complain about not having enough room than not having enough youth. Please keep these youth and I in your prayers. God has blessed us so far beyond measure. Our next big event is this coming Wednesday 21st of December. We will be taking a road trip to Ozark Missouri for what they call here "barn swinging" I know what your thinking but apparently the youth love it so Let's Go Barn Swinging Ya'all!
3 Comments:
Sounds good Travis. Hope all is going well there.
What exactly is barn swinging anyway?
Thanks Daddio and Hey Casey! Good to here from you. All is going really well. This is what they tell me about barn swinging; you drive 2 hours to a barn and then they strap this rope around you hanging from the rafters and they swing you like crazy... It's country fun. You should come with!
Sounds like fun hehe.
Slightly like being a human piƱata.
How's the weather there? It's cold for us here just in Florida :P.
Post a Comment
<< Home